Welcome

I have started a blog because everybody else is doing it. (I'm going to jump off a bridge like everybody else after this.) I figure this is a great way for me to tell you things without actually talking to you. Feel free to leave comments so I don't always feel like I'm talking to myself.

Hammer Family — April 2024

Hammer Family — April 2024

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Graduation: Deven and Sara

The last day of school was the craziest busy day in a long time. Jaelyn didn’t have to go to school. Glenn took the three younger kids to school and then left Deven at the Maverik Center for his graduation. (We’re still surprised he passed enough classes to graduate.) Glenn and I and Jaelyn then went to Sara’s Hillside graduation, although they’re not allowed to call it that, so it was a “promotion.” Sara got six awards: the presidential Outstanding Academic Excellence award, the Kiwanis America’s Future Award, the 4.0 honor roll, Safety Patrol, Exellent Attendance, and Elementary School Completion. Sara was also chosen by her teacher to give a speech.

Glenn left Sara’s graduation early with Jaelyn for Deven’s graduation, which was starting before Sara’s ended. (Thank you, Granite School District!) Then Sara and I drove to the Maverik Center, which had no parking left. After driving around a while, we parked at the Hale Center Theater. Chris and Elicia (and Ivy) were already there, so we called and texted each other.

Sara and I found seats at the very top. We got there shortly before they started reading the names. Ivy got to discover just how boring that is. (I finished reading Shoeless Joe during that time.) There was a warning on the program that people throwing confetti or making “excessive noise” would be escorted out, but that wasn’t enforced. I was experiencing actual pain from the noise of high-pitched air horns, and it triggered a headache.

I found Chris after the ceremony easily, but it took longer to find Glenn. Eventually we all found each other, said hi, and split up again. Glenn took the three kids to lunch, and I took the Toyota to pick up Caelan and Corin from school. Thanks to construction traffic, I was kind of late to Carl’s Jr., where everyone else had already finished eating. That left just enough time to change for my last band concert. (See previous post.)

Deven picked dinner at IHOP for his graduation celebration. We went late in the evening since we’d had a big late lunch. I still wasn’t that hungry, so I just got an ice cream sundae.

Deven

Deven
 
Sara trying to hold all her awards

Connor, Sara, Michael

Sara and friends

Seniors at the Maverik Center

No comments:

My Five Squawkos

My Five Squawkos
Deven, Sara, Jaelyn, Corin, Caelan —2023