Welcome

I have started a blog because everybody else is doing it. (I'm going to jump off a bridge like everybody else after this.) I figure this is a great way for me to tell you things without actually talking to you. Feel free to leave comments so I don't always feel like I'm talking to myself.

Hammer Family — April 2024

Hammer Family — April 2024

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Grammar Lesson #3: Fewer/Fess, Much/Many, Continual/Continuous

How to use fewer/less, much/many, continual/continuous

These are pairs of words that mean the same but are used in different situations. Fewer, many, and continual are for things that can be counted one at a time. Less, much, and continuous are for things that have infinite variations of degrees or volume. (In math terms, it’s the difference between discrete and continuous.)

You can have less time but fewer hours; much money but many coins. You can be interrupted continually but hear a hum continuously.

Most people use much and many just fine but have problems with the other two. Much goes with less (and continuous), and many goes with fewer (and continual).

No comments:

My Five Squawkos

My Five Squawkos
Deven, Sara, Jaelyn, Corin, Caelan —2023