Welcome

I have started a blog because everybody else is doing it. (I'm going to jump off a bridge like everybody else after this.) I figure this is a great way for me to tell you things without actually talking to you. Feel free to leave comments so I don't always feel like I'm talking to myself.

Hammer Family — April 2024

Hammer Family — April 2024

Friday, May 2, 2008

Grammar Lesson #1: The Difference Between Lie and Lay

Most people use lay to mean both lie and lay. Here’s how it’s supposed to work:

The jargon goes like this: Lie is an intransitive verb. Lay is a transitive verb. This means lay must have a word after it: It does something to something. Think of it this way: It’s transient. It cannot be by itself. Other similar pairs are sit/set and rise/raise.

I sit I set it
I rise I raise it
I lie (down) I lay it (down)

The confusion occurs because the past tense of lie is lay:
Present: Lie Lay
Past: Lay Laid
Participle: (Have) Lain (Have) Laid

So if it’s just you, you lie. If you’re doing it to something, it’s lay.

No comments:

My Five Squawkos

My Five Squawkos
Deven, Sara, Jaelyn, Corin, Caelan —2023