Welcome

I have started a blog because everybody else is doing it. (I'm going to jump off a bridge like everybody else after this.) I figure this is a great way for me to tell you things without actually talking to you. Feel free to leave comments so I don't always feel like I'm talking to myself.

Hammer Family — April 2024

Hammer Family — April 2024

Saturday, September 21, 2019

Nauvoo Trip: Day 4

Friday morning I saw that Sara had taken a shower, so I asked if the hot water was on yet. She was vague but said her shower had been “exhilarating.” It turned out that was her uncle Dave’s euphemism for a cold shower. The hot water wasn’t on until the evening.

In the morning most of us went to see Carthage Jail. It was about half an hour away (by car!) from Nauvoo. I hadn’t realized that. It was crowded, and we had to wait a while to get on the tour. We toured the house, and the guide explained each room and what had happened there. I learned a lot. How did I not know that the jailer had given Joseph and his companions his own bedroom, and that’s where they were shot? The place had a strong, solemn spirit to it.

front of the jail

cousins

cousins




door with bullet hole (which killed Hyrum)

jail cell — Willard Richards brought John Taylor here for treatment
window Joseph fell out of

outside view of window
In the afternoon a small group of us went to the Nauvoo Temple and did a session there. After that we did a few sealings. It was really cool. In the temple you go from room to room while following the film. Meanwhile the rest of the adults and all the kids toured Nauvoo. They brought us a brick from the brickyard. Yay, my own Nauvoo brick.








In the evening we all went to see the British Pageant performed on an outdoor stage. There were anti-Mormon protesters outside handing out anti-Mormon literature. Really, people? Get a life. I was wary of the pageant (ever since experiencing Manti’s rather lame one), but it turned out to be good. The actors and dancers were good, and it portrayed experiences from the earliest British saints that were interesting. 

David Hammer’s car broke down at the pageant (got permanently stuck in Reverse) and was there the rest of the weekend, so he needed rides from people to get anywhere.

I finally got a proper shower with warm water.  😃

No comments:

My Five Squawkos

My Five Squawkos
Deven, Sara, Jaelyn, Corin, Caelan —2023