March began with a bad headache, so I stayed home from church on the 1st. The kids then had two weeks off-track from school. On Thursday the 5th we all went to the zoo with our zoo membership. There was snow on the grass and trees, which kept falling out of the trees and onto us. The zoo was also pretty deserted, which was nice. No school is nice for sleeping in a little, but then it means there are more kids in the house trying to kill each other.
Saturday the 7th we had our taxes done by an accountant in Bountiful we've used for a while now. We're getting lots of money back, so we celebrated with dinner at IHOP.
I was finally given a visiting teaching assignment. I was really hoping I'd escaped notice. I don't have a real companion, so I visited the two people I've actually met on my own. I'll attempt the other two later when I'm prepared for a slammed door in my face.
Elicia came by and cut my hair really short. I'm not sure it's ever been this short. But it grows so fast now, it should be long again by next year.
Caelan is talking a little more. His common words are "car," "light," "move," "baby," "uh-oh," "ow," "spoon," and "bowl." His pronunciation of "spoon" is closer to "ba-boon."
I locked myself out of the house again, so I finally went over to Lowe's and had a spare key made. I hid in in a window screen.
We have a stray cat that's been hanging around a lot. She is mostly grey and black with some white spots. She has very long fur that has gotten matted. She loves attention and will let all the kids pet her, although Caelan feels his personal space is violated by her. I've called her Frankenstein (from "Red Dwarf"). I think she is pregnant. She looks kind of wide in the middle despite being skinny elsewhere.
March's Scout pack meeting was our Pinewood Derby. Deven had a nice car but didn’t place very high. There were 19 cars that each got to race in each lane. I made Rice Krispie treats for the first time. There were several other batches there. I tried one that was rock hard and tasted rather off. I couldn’t finish it. I saw several other bars of the batch with a bite missing sitting on the table. They must have been weeks old!
One Sunday Glenn just dropped Caelan off in Nursery and then left. Caelan doesn't do well without a parent. So a Nursery worker brought him after about half an hour. He was highly traumatized and wouldn’t stop crying. He was also trembling and in a cold sweat. We took him home, and I gave him some medicine, and Glenn lay down with him on the bed. I went back to church for the final hour. Caelan continued sleeping until 4 or so, and then he seemed okay.
There was a cake auction Friday the 27th to raise money for Scouts. I made two. My chocolate R2-D2 went for $40. Someone bought in on behalf of the bishop, who couldn't make it that night. My other cake was a butter pecan round cake with daffodils on top. That went for $25. One of my Bear scouts had made his cake himself and couldn't bear to part with it, so he bid on it up to $60. We won some cupcakes for $10. We got outbid on everything else.
Welcome
I have started a blog because everybody else is doing it. (I'm going to jump off a bridge like everybody else after this.) I figure this is a great way for me to tell you things without actually talking to you. Feel free to leave comments so I don't always feel like I'm talking to myself.
Hammer Family — April 2024
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Five Squawkos
Deven, Sara, Jaelyn, Corin, Caelan —2023
No comments:
Post a Comment