I began getting a headache in the early afternoon, but I hadn’t brought any of my pill boxes with me, so I was totally kicking myself for that. I left and went to Smith’s at Redwood and 39th South and bought some Excedrin and took two. By dinner time I was rather shaky and not feeling tip-top. I took an Imitrex injection and was soon mostly better to do timekeeping for the evening shift.
I covered three classes: writing courtroom scenes, making your manuscript stand out to agents, and grammar. Meanwhile Glenn did timekeeping for agent pitches and got to hang out with Kevin J. Anderson during dinner. Lucky!
Saturday we had to get up very early again. I had a mild headache but was mostly okay. I attended classes on writing until my brain was full, and I got to meet some writers and agents and editors. Lunch was a big catered event for everyone, and Kevin J. Anderson gave his keynote address there. I got him to sign our copy of The Longest Con (in which he’s a character).
After lunch I was assigned to the Green Room. I didn’t have much to do there, but it was cool to hang out in the presence of author celebrities. Anderson was there for a while, and I talked to him for a couple minutes about the band Rush and the book Ready Player One, which I’d just finished.
We left before the conference was completely done. The adult session of stake conference was at 7. However, Jennifer A. Nielsen was doing an author event at the Viridian Center at the same time, and I just had to go. I discovered her books earlier this year and absolutely loved them. Jaelyn came with me, so I didn’t look out of place as a weird middle-aged adult stalking children.
During Jennifer’s introduction, the speaker said Jennifer’s favorite book growing up was The Wolves of Willoughby Chase. I blurted out, “No way!” I mean, nobody’s heard of that book. I bought the whole Ascendance Trilogy and two more books and got them signed at the end. That was really fun.
| Me, Jennifer Nielsen, Jaelyn |
1 comment:
Jennifer Nielson's mom and my husband's mom are best friends. Kevin and she basically grew up as cousins. It doesn't get us free books or anything (we buy them like everyone else to support the author), but she does make a fun name to drop. Because she writes fun stuff and she's an awesome human being and family person, of course. And we were willingly exiled to the kitchen to serve a bazillion brownies and ice cream at the wedding reception when her mom remarried 2 years ago. Glad you had some fun at the conference.
Post a Comment