Glenn and I met as juniors at BYU--Provo. We first met Labor Day 1995 at an FHE activity. (The FHE groups were reorganized the next week, so it was a one-time thing.) I just remember sitting next to him, playing Uno, and feeling extremely comfortable and natural around him. I next saw him in a class on Wednesday: science fiction/fantasy creative writing.
I had wanted to take a creative writing class the previous semester, but the SF/F one was full by the time I got to register. So I waited until fall, when Glenn was in my class. We began sitting next to each other along with two other students, and I had a lot of fun in that foursome. I think the professor was glad when we left his class. During the final, Glenn and I got into a pen war and left with pen marks all over each other. Glenn even nearly tipped my desk over during one attack.
It was very easy to like Glenn, but at Thanksgiving he told me he was afraid I was liking him too much, and that we should be only friends. He came over to my house one day during Christmas break when he was bored. (His parents thought it interesting that he would drive all the way to San Mateo just for an acquaintance.)
Our first "real" date was probably to a play. I had bought tickets to a bunch of plays at the beginning of the school year and had been bringing my roommate along. But she couldn't make one of them and suggested I ask Glenn to go with me. I was hesitant but asked him along. My roommate probably would not have liked that play. (It was "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.") It was really fun.
During finals week, we became a couple. We went home for the summer and worked while visiting each other about twice a week. It was a 30-mile drive between our houses. We returned to the same ward for senior year. Others who did the same were rather surprised to see us a couple when he hadn't been the previous year. We both stayed at school for the summer to finish up classes (I did my internship). We got engaged in June, graduated in August, and got married a week after graduation.
No comments:
Post a Comment