Welcome

I have started a blog because everybody else is doing it. (I'm going to jump off a bridge like everybody else after this.) I figure this is a great way for me to tell you things without actually talking to you. Feel free to leave comments so I don't always feel like I'm talking to myself.

Hammer Family — April 2024

Hammer Family — April 2024

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

New Drug Trial

I have joined another migraine study. This one is a preventative medication that is taken every other day.

First I had a month where I just recorded my headaches in an electronic diary to set a baseline. The study coordinator said I was the first person to complete that first month. Everyone else had forgotten to fill out the diary or had not been able to figure it out. 

I started actually taking the trial medication about a month ago, in the middle of January. There was a 50/50 chance of getting a placebo, but this thing has been amazing. My brain chemistry feels fixed, like it’s got a protective barrier or something. I’m also getting by with less sleep. Before, I needed 10-11 hours of sleep to avoid getting a migraine and to actually feel awake. Now I’m getting by with 9.

In a month, I had just one mild menstrual migraine instead of the usually three or so killer ones, and I had a regular headache caused by this bad cold. It’s very encouraging. I’m supposed to be getting paid for this, too.

I hope it gets to market and helps others. After Obamacare passed, my migraine medication went from $10 to $671 for four doses. (Thanks Obama! Not.) It’s since come down to about $300. So the drug is saving me money right now as well as preventing sick time.

No comments:

My Five Squawkos

My Five Squawkos
Deven, Sara, Jaelyn, Corin, Caelan —2023