Welcome

I have started a blog because everybody else is doing it. (I'm going to jump off a bridge like everybody else after this.) I figure this is a great way for me to tell you things without actually talking to you. Feel free to leave comments so I don't always feel like I'm talking to myself.

Hammer Family — April 2024

Hammer Family — April 2024

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Family History Shrine


A while ago we had Grandma Thatcher’s pump organ (technically a harmonium) shipped to our house. It was in Grandma’s house in Sonoma until Grandma died, and before that it was in her parents’ house. I can’t remember where it was before that. I’ve added some other items that represent recent ancestors, so now it’s sort of a family history shrine.

There’s a pair of photos of my maternal grandparents at about the time they got married. (They were both previously widowed.) Grandma Gilbert gave me that ten or so years ago. The doll wearing blue was also Grandma’s. She collected dolls, and I took custody of this one when she died.

The nutcracker music box was a gift from Grandma Gilbert’s mother, Grandma Driscoll, a long time ago. It suffered some minor earthquake damage once but was miraculously saved from worse damage.

The doll dresser I received from Grandma Thatcher. She had received it from her grandmother, Mary Larsen Gardner (wife of Utah/Wyoming pioneer Archibald Gardner), at her baptism in 1918.

The geese figures belonged to Glenn’s grandmother, Maxine “Billie” Naylor. I don’t know much else about them.

The two girl figurines were also Grandma Thatcher’s. She gave those to me a long time ago. I think there may have been a third pink one, but I am not positive.

I really enjoy having a tangible connection to people from the past. This is in particular a history of women.

Mary Larsen Gardner

Olive Gardner Thatcher

Maxine Elizabeth "Billie" Lewis Naylor

Patricia Driscoll Gilbert

Arlene Million Driscoll

Jack and Patricia Gilbert's wedding

1 comment:

Deb said...

You need to add that your cousin Debbie took great care of the pump organ for 20 years between Grandma Thatcher and you!!! :)

My Five Squawkos

My Five Squawkos
Deven, Sara, Jaelyn, Corin, Caelan —2023