Welcome

I have started a blog because everybody else is doing it. (I'm going to jump off a bridge like everybody else after this.) I figure this is a great way for me to tell you things without actually talking to you. Feel free to leave comments so I don't always feel like I'm talking to myself.

Hammer Family — April 2024

Hammer Family — April 2024

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

2016 Salt Lake Comic Con


Comic Con this year was a lot of fun. I got to meet a lot of writers and artists and talk with them at length, which in itself was a blast.

CELEBRITIES
I haven't watched any recent TV shows, including "Arrow" and "Vampire Diaries," so I didn't recognize many of the celebrities who came. I took time to see Mark Hamill, William Shatner, Sean Maher, Evanna Lynch, Billy Boyd, Nicholas Brendon, and Emma Caulfield.

Mark Hamill is a very energetic extrovert. Sean Maher and Evanna Lynch were obvious introverts. The contrast was interesting.

Besides proving to be a very gifted singer, Billy Boyd was hilarious. Someone asked him a question about how LOTR had affected the cast’s lives or something. He thought a moment and said, "I'm going to call Dom." So he decided to call up Dominic Monaghan on his smartphone and held up the mic and turned on the speaker phone. When Monaghan answered, Billy said, “Hey, I’m in the bath with 5,000 people.” The audience just screamed then. Monaghan, apparently unfazed, just went with it and said, “But I’m halfway through cooking you dinner and have the electric blanket heated up for you.” That sort of banter went on through this whole phone conversation.

Mark Hamill

William Shatner


COSTUMES
I usually wear my steampunk costume on the middle day of Comic Con. I've been tweaking it and adding to it each year. This year I added goggles to my hat, although that added a lot of weight. I'm going to have to make adjustments to the hat next. I also got a parasol with little crystals on it. I changed the belt by getting a real golden chain belt and added crystals to it to match the parasol. While checking out the vendors, we found me a corset to pull it all together. Once all that was together, I got several photo requests during the day.

The other days I tried to represent all my fandoms: a Deathly Hallows necklace, a One Ring necklace, Star Trek socks, a Star Wars button, and a Tardis cap. Then I wore my Monty Python T-shirt one day and my Michael Vey shirt another day.

I didn't take too many photos, but I saw lots of Star Wars and Star Trek uniforms, which all looked authentic. There were a lot of Pokemon and comic book characters this year. I ran into one Red Dwarf costume, which excited me.





They made his walker into a spaceship!


This pair never broke character.






Mr. Flibble is very cross.


WRITERS
It was fun chatting up the authors. Many were local, and we have lots of local talent. One writer I told, "I have that book and that book of yours but haven't got to them yet. But I promise that one is next on my list." There were a lot of writers whose books are still on my to-read list.

I saw Brandon Mull in a couple panels, and I went to Richard Paul Evans's Michael Vey panel. I hope to get book 6 this week. He had three guys from the audience with Tourette's come sit up front with him. Evans and his character Michael Vey have Tourette's. I got the book "Insomnia" signed by J.R. Johanssen. I really like that book. She had an extra copy of the sequel on hand, so she just gave it to me. After the steampunk panel, which was the very end of the whole con, I was able to buy two books from one of the steampunk authors at a discount.

Brandon Mull and Chad Morris

Richard Paul Evans with fellow Tourette's sufferers

Josi Russell, Sam Sykes, Bryce Moore, Robert J. 
Defendi, Frank Morin. Richard Lance Russell

Brian Durfee, Larry Correia, Laurell K. Hamilton, 
Sarah Kuhn, Sean Hoade, David Farland

Nathan Shumate, Cori Hoekstra, Jason A. Anderson, 
Craig Nybo, Callie Stoker, Michaelbrent Collings

Leigh Statham, Scott Taylor, John M. Olsen, 
Cindy Grigg, Rebekah R. Ganiere


No comments:

My Five Squawkos

My Five Squawkos
Deven, Sara, Jaelyn, Corin, Caelan —2023