Welcome

I have started a blog because everybody else is doing it. (I'm going to jump off a bridge like everybody else after this.) I figure this is a great way for me to tell you things without actually talking to you. Feel free to leave comments so I don't always feel like I'm talking to myself.

Hammer Family — April 2024

Hammer Family — April 2024

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day of Service

It's been crazy busy lately. Busy in a boring way, really.

Saturday the 10th was a church wide “day of service.” Our stake did yard work (and similar projects) at various houses and parks within each ward. It was hard getting up by 8, but we got there at 8:20. We started with a house on our street, now vacant. The children all picked up boxes and bags of pine cones and raked pine needles. I worked on digging out weeds from the hard ground. Then Paul came through with a motorized tiller and ground through all that dirt in seconds that would have taken us hours by hand.

From there I went with the Primary kids to the church, where we used Clorox wipes on all the chairs and surfaces in the church. Deven vacuumed the chapel: “I’ve always wanted to vacuum a huge room!” Glenn vacuumed the hallways. We were done in no time with all the people there. By then it was only about 10:30. 

Next the kids played on the lawn next to the vacant house. Next to them on the south side is the bishop’s house. Glenn and others helped excavate dirt out of the bishop’s yard. I asked if we needed to tell the stake president that he was using the day of service to have the ward build him a pool. I don’t know where all that dirt came from. Then Glenn had them take it to our house and add it to our garden plots. That was done by about 11:30.

Deven worked at another house meanwhile, and then there was a stake barbecue at noon. It was very good.

No comments:

My Five Squawkos

My Five Squawkos
Deven, Sara, Jaelyn, Corin, Caelan —2023