Welcome

I have started a blog because everybody else is doing it. (I'm going to jump off a bridge like everybody else after this.) I figure this is a great way for me to tell you things without actually talking to you. Feel free to leave comments so I don't always feel like I'm talking to myself.

Hammer Family — April 2024

Hammer Family — April 2024

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Grammar Lesson #8: Redundancies (Pleonasms)

Saying multiple words when one will do is hard to avoid when speaking but can definitely be avoided when writing. Let's save some trees and shorten these phrases:

reason why, reason is because >> reason is
in order to >> to
is located at >> at, is at
is currently >> is

These are words that come together but need to. This is where you use what I call the "duh" test or "as opposed to ...?" test to see if you can shorten these:

close proximity
free gift
future forecast
future planning
actively involved
past history
absolutely certain
added bonus
very unique

You get the idea. Now that you're aware, you'll see them everywhere.

No comments:

My Five Squawkos

My Five Squawkos
Deven, Sara, Jaelyn, Corin, Caelan —2023