Welcome

I have started a blog because everybody else is doing it. (I'm going to jump off a bridge like everybody else after this.) I figure this is a great way for me to tell you things without actually talking to you. Feel free to leave comments so I don't always feel like I'm talking to myself.

Hammer Family — April 2024

Hammer Family — April 2024

Sunday, April 4, 2021

2020: Earthquake

Just after 7 a.m. on March 18, we were awakened early by an earthquake. I thought, “Wow, that’s got to be at least a 5. Probably not a 6, but a good 5, maybe 5.5.” It turned out to be a 5.7. Ha! 

I would’ve got back to sleep, but we were hit immediately with an aftershock, and then another and another. Some of our kids were freaking out, but Mom and Dad are Californians and just wanted sleep. There was an hour of near-constant quaking with about 90 aftershocks throughout the day. In the year since, there were about 2,500 aftershocks. The epicenter was in Magna, so we were pretty close to it. Magna Main Street sustained damage, and much of Magna lost power. 

It happened only days after all the Covid lockdowns started, but it gave Utah something besides coronavirus to talk about for a day. We figured the Second Coming was close at hand.

Official report here.

No comments:

My Five Squawkos

My Five Squawkos
Deven, Sara, Jaelyn, Corin, Caelan —2023