Welcome

I have started a blog because everybody else is doing it. (I'm going to jump off a bridge like everybody else after this.) I figure this is a great way for me to tell you things without actually talking to you. Feel free to leave comments so I don't always feel like I'm talking to myself.

Hammer Family — April 2024

Hammer Family — April 2024

Monday, June 1, 2020

Grandma Hammer's Funeral

Myrtle Barlow Hammer passed away October 4, 2019, just a few weeks after her 95th birthday. She had been anxious to follow her husband, Glenn A. Hammer, who had passed about 18 months earlier, just a few weeks after his 95th birthday.

The funeral was October 17, which worked out nicely because it was part of Fall Break. We first met at the Bluffdale veterans’ cemetery for the interment. The grandsons and Deven were pallbearers. Grandma gets to share the same plot as Grandpa. She’d made a remark about how if she’s on top of him, no other woman can get at him in the resurrection.


Some of Glenn A and Myrtle Hammer's grandchildren

Later we had a family dinner at the Hammers’ church building in Payson. The Relief Society provided everything, and it was really nice of them as well as delicious. Quite a few family members were present.

Following dinner was what Glenn B. Hammer called a white elephant inheritance exchange. Jaelyn and Sara and other great-granddaughters would bring items, many bundled together as a group of items, to whoever’s name was drawn out of a basket two granddaughters-in-law. It was all stuff that was useful but had no sentimental value, and Grandma just wanted it to “find a good home.”

It was kind of funny to see a 12-year-old nephew end up with a hair dryer, for instance. Corin got an exercise contraption that lets you pedal while sitting in a chair. He found it fascinating. I ended up with an electric turkey carver. Sara wanted to give away her set of kitchen stuff, so I traded with her and let her get something else with the carver. Corin kept the pedal contraption. Jaelyn traded for a Paddington bear, and Sara got a blanket and throw pillow. Glenn ended up with a set of glass bowls and salt and pepper shakers.

Corin trying out the pedal contraption

Great-granddaughters lining up to distribute items




A little after that, we had the memorial service. There was a lot of music, as Grandma had some favorite hymns. Four grandchildren sang, and they were all good, and it blew me away because you’d never see that at a Gilbert family function. Uncle Mark gave the eulogy, and the EQ president gave some comments, and Glenn B. Hammer gave some “remarks” that ended up taking a while. 

I played the piano for the children singing “I Am a Child of God.” I hadn’t even practiced it once first. I also played the closing song on the flute, a sacrament hymn, so it worked best to not have the words involved.

No comments:

My Five Squawkos

My Five Squawkos
Deven, Sara, Jaelyn, Corin, Caelan —2023