Welcome

I have started a blog because everybody else is doing it. (I'm going to jump off a bridge like everybody else after this.) I figure this is a great way for me to tell you things without actually talking to you. Feel free to leave comments so I don't always feel like I'm talking to myself.

Hammer Family — April 2024

Hammer Family — April 2024

Saturday, July 20, 2019

California Trip 2019: Oakland Zoo


Thursday, May 30, we all went to the Oakland Zoo. James came along, so we rode in two cars. This is the zoo where James fell out of the train when he was about 3 years old. I don’t think either of us had been there since.

We looked at some tigers and then rode the new gondola up to a section featuring California animals. We told James to be careful and not fall out. If he did, Mom shouldn’t sign any waivers this time. We saw some bears up there. Then we came back down and went out to eat a picnic lunch. From there Mom bought tickets for the kids to ride the train. This train was totally different from the one that James fell out of, but we still made wisecracks about it to the kids.

Then we toured the rest of the zoo. The school kids on field trips had gone home, and we just about had the place to ourselves. Most of the animals were eating and playing and were fascinating to watch. I saw a zebra start nibbling on the flank of another zebra. That zebra didn’t like it and let the offending zebra know it. Did you know zebras sound like turkeys?

Gondolas ride over the camels.
School kids would yell hello as our cars passed.




lions

baboons

baboon

warthog

fruit bats

some kind of monkey

bear

meerkat?

howler monkey?

tortoises


alligators


For enrichment, the zookeepers have the animals
solve puzzles to get to their food to simulate the wild.



macaws



flamingos


hyenas

No comments:

My Five Squawkos

My Five Squawkos
Deven, Sara, Jaelyn, Corin, Caelan —2023