Welcome

I have started a blog because everybody else is doing it. (I'm going to jump off a bridge like everybody else after this.) I figure this is a great way for me to tell you things without actually talking to you. Feel free to leave comments so I don't always feel like I'm talking to myself.

Hammer Family — April 2024

Hammer Family — April 2024

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Meanwhile in California

We stayed in California for a few days after the wedding. Friday Glenn’s mom had planned a tour of the Jelly Belly factory. Glenn and I weren’t excited about that. We’d already been, and the drive back had been a nightmare. Plus I don’t like Jelly Bellies that much. The older teens wanted to stay at Grandma’s and do nothing, but their moms didn’t want them to. 

Glenn and I settled on a guided tour of the Bourn Cottage at the Empire Mine. Sara, Jaelyn, a 17-year-old niece and an 18-year-old nephew joined us. Our niece called us “Team Non-Jelly-Belly.” Caelan and Corin went to the factory with Grandma.

We’d been to the mine before but not the the guided tour. The weather was perfect, and the grounds were gorgeous. The tour let us see the entire main floor of the cottage, which has been restored. I had to stop and look at all the old books. That was really cool. 

There was a guided tour of the mine immediately after. The kids weren’t as interested in that, so they mostly waited outside on the grass. We got to see one of the stamp machines in action and then they used lights to simulate riding down into the mine. We got back by 2:30. We learned there was a huge accident just west of Colfax, so the Jelly Belly group didn’t make it back until 5:30 or so. Team Non-Jelly-Belly was very happy to not be sitting on the road all afternoon.

Saturday the remaining visiting family members visited the Folsom Zoo. It was toasty in the sun but nice in the shade. It’s a little zoo, more of a sanctuary for former illegal exotic pets and seriously injured animals. We saw it all in about an hour. There were peacocks roaming around, and there were a bunch of baby peacocks wandering around, and they were so cute.















mine entrance

Miners would ride this to go into the mine.

baby peacocks with mama peacocks

No comments:

My Five Squawkos

My Five Squawkos
Deven, Sara, Jaelyn, Corin, Caelan —2023