Welcome

I have started a blog because everybody else is doing it. (I'm going to jump off a bridge like everybody else after this.) I figure this is a great way for me to tell you things without actually talking to you. Feel free to leave comments so I don't always feel like I'm talking to myself.

Hammer Family — April 2024

Hammer Family — April 2024

Monday, June 19, 2017

Guns. Books. Music.

The first Saturday in November was a crazy day with three major disparate activities. 

First thing in the morning was shotgun shooting, hosted by the elders’ quorum. Five people at a time shot five times, taking turns and rotating, until they had shot 25 rounds. I borrowed a 12-gauge, which was too big and heavy for me, but it was fine. I had never fired a rifle before. I missed all the shots but later found out I’d actually winged one. Glenn hit twelve. I was very sore and bruised later.

Next Glenn and I went to the Viridian Center for the annual Local Authors and You event. It’s a book lovers’ dream. We went to short panel classes until 5 and met writers and talked with writers. I wanted to buy all the books. I won a drawing, and this year we got to choose which book prize we wanted. It was a tough choice, but I went with Larry Correia’s Monster Hunter series—three books. 

At home we had a quick dinner and then went to see the Utah Symphony. The head conductor, Thierry Fischer, conducted. They performed a Haydn symphony and then a Charles Ives symphony. After an intermission they performed Dvorak’s New World Symphony. Fischer didn’t even use the score for that one. He got so into it, practically jumping off the podium. It was so, so good. And the crowd knew enough to not clap between movements.

It was a memorable day of shooting, books, and music.

No comments:

My Five Squawkos

My Five Squawkos
Deven, Sara, Jaelyn, Corin, Caelan —2023